An empty container means another review! Today I finished up an affordable hair mask, the Maui Moisture Vanilla Bean Hair Butter. This hair butter is labeled for “frizzy, unruly hair” and if that isn’t the secret code for wavy hair, then I don’t know what is!
I stumbled upon this mask when I first found Maui Moisture. For whatever reason, the Vanilla Bean line is hard to find, and this mask is even more elusive. So here’s a link.
TL;DR …. I like the mask, it’s affordable and moisturizing, but I’m not convinced it’s the best out there. Would buy again & would recommend.
How I Use
About once a month (slightly more often in winter), I would use a generous amount in place of normal conditioner. A typical deep conditioning routine would look like this:
- Use a strong low poo twice to make sure hair is clean.
- Detangle with a normal conditioner (read pros/cons on this to learn why)
- While standing up scrunch a generous amount into ends of hair. Sort of squish to condish but my hair wasn’t ever totally sopping.
- Allow conditioner to set in hair for 5-10 minutes. I would reserve shaving/exfoliating etc for this day and just make it a ridiculously long shower.
- Rinse thoroughly while standing up. Get all of the deep conditioner out.
- Wrap hair in microfiber turbie twist
pppsssttt, follow @allwavyhair on social media. Click below!
Now onto the review:
- Price Point – It’s a drugstore mask. Prices vary by location, but I feel confident that you won’t spend more than $10 on it.
- Scent – light vanilla without smelling like a cupcake. Doesn’t last in the hair, which I prefer
- Moisture – This is definitely a deep conditioner. My hair feels smoother and always looks shiny after using.
- Can be hard to rinse out, and if any is left in my hair….it’s noticeable. Leaving this in the hair leaves it quite heavy until the next wash.
- I need to use a lot to really feel like I’m doing a “mask” on my hair.
- No slip. I don’t really expect this of a mask, but it’s nice to have. So I can’t really fault it for no slip….but it’s worth mentioning.
- The results are just….moisture. Looking at pictures, I don’t think people could tell that I did anything *different* than a “normal” wash day.
If you’re on a budget and want a deep conditioner: this is a good option. In fact, it’s the best affordable silicone-free option that I’ve personally used. But I’m not convinced that it’s actually the best on the market. I DO recommend this hair mask and would repurchase (but I’ve got a few others to try first!)