Have you been on your wavy hair/curly girl journey a long time? Like….more than a year? Maybe more than two? Or even more? Then I’m guessing at some point, this thought has gone through your head….I’m sick of my hair. Or maybe, I’m bored of my hair. Or maybe, I just want smooth touchable hair for one day!! Wavy friends: I feel you. Right now, I’m there. That is my wavy confession. I’m bored. I have wanted to either straighten or touch up my hair with a curling wand (also HOLD UP, my curling wand is now only $13.50?! I feel like I paid a pretty penny for this 5 years ago…) for weeks. I literally found myself STARING at another woman’s sleek straight hair. I realized it probably was super creepy (hopefully no one saw), and that this was actually affecting me!
I love my waves
Don’t mistake me in thinking I dislike my hair. Or that it isn’t healthy. Or anything like that. I love my waves. Truly, I do. I’m just BORED. My hair pretty much looks the same every day, and has for the last year and a half. Even on special occassions! I mean sure, sometimes I’ll add in a sparkly bobby pin or do a half-updo (full updos aren’t flattering on me at all)….but this still isn’t different enough. I’m bored of wearing my hair down and wavy every single day, and it’s okay if you are too.
Will I heat style?
The short answer: maybe. I’m scared to damage my hair. I don’t even own a heat protectant. There are two heat protectants I want to try: a silicone free heat protectant spray and a silicone free heat protectant cream. Both are pricy, so please let me know if you’ve tried either! Those are officilially going onto my next wavy hair wish list (check out this last one). MY old go to was the tried and true Tresemme heat tamer, but that is full of silicones. I’d like to not cause build up etc if possible, so I’d like to find a silicone free option (there’s this one by SheaMoisture but I haven’t heard much about it!)
I’m longing for a little bit of this….
Sorry that all of the photo qualities are drastically different! They are all from different years. But
a reflection (and a rant)
I loved the flexibility my hair had. In truth, I didn’t heat style my hair super often until I chopped off my hair during pregnancy. It was way too short (much shorter than any pictures here) and it ONLY looked good on me heat styled. In these pictures/stages, I would leave my hair natural 75% of the time, and heat style the other 25%….and honestly…..I’m considering working back to that. If ANY wavies out there heat style ocassionally, let me know! There is a horrible stigma in this community about heat styling. It seems to be considered a failure, or giving in. But giving in to what? Wanting a different look every once and awhile? I love my natural hair, and I bet you do too. But that doesn’t mean you have to never use heat to fulfill someone else’s idea of healthy hair. If you are aware of the effects heat styling will have on your hair, and take precautions, then go for it wavy friend. I think I might too. Maybe once I get once I order a silicone free heat protectant 😉