I tried a well-loved product in the wavy hair (and curly hair!) community lately. It’s the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. And it’s my favorite smelling gel ever, and I love the idea and the company….but it doesn’t work with my hair. I so wish it did, but it doesn’t. Funny enough, what got me to write this post was that another person online mentioned this, and other wavies/curly girls were ALL OVER HER. They were telling her she was using it wrong, despite her mentioning all the ways she had tried it. But I’m not here to say it’s a bad product, because it isn’t! There are thousands of people who would disagree with me (and this other poor girl who basically got attacked for saying anything).
Here were the issues it caused for my hair….
- Weighed Down
- Stringy at the ends only
- itchy scalp (which I have never before experienced)
- frizz despite the cast
And before you go crazy on me telling me how I did it wrong…here are the ways I’ve tried it.
- on it’s own with a little
- on it’s own with a lot
- on it’s own with a teeeeeeny bit
- on it’s own with a LOT
- under a hard hold gel with a little
- under a hard hold gel with a lot
- under a hard hold gel with a teeeeeeny bit
- over a hard hold gel with a little
- over a hard hold gel with a lot
- under a mousse with a little
- under a mousse with a lot
- under a mousse with a teeeeeeeny bit
- over a mousse with a little
- over a mousse with a lot
- as a refresh with a little
- as a refresh with water
- as a refresh without water
- as a refresh with mousse
- after a cowash
- after a clarifying wash
- after an ACV rinse
I don’t even think that’s the exhaustive list. I’ve gone through a third of the container and still….the issues persist. I think my hair likes glycerin even in 100% humidity (a post for a different day). The reason I am writing this though, wavy friend, is to tell you that IT IS OKAY IF SOMETHING DOESN’T WORK FOR YOU. There isn’t anything wrong with you or your hair. Wavy hair is so dang finicky. Product recommendations are a great way to find new products, but they won’t just carbon copy the results of someone else to your head.